Wednesday, August 11, 2010

and sew it begins...

I have slowly begun tackling the pile of air force uniform pants on the floor next to my sewing desk. Boy are they tough! First of all, the thread used in the pants from the factory is IMPOSSIBLE to find a match for - I went to both Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart and couldn't find a thread that comes anywhere close to the original stuff. So I erred on the side of too dark and got a nice manatee grey. Spooled it up, threaded everything, put a new (tougher) needle in, pinned the first pair of pants together and...... stared at the machine and the pants for a good 30 minutes without even moving! I just realized, I don't know how to sew! :O Well, I finally sucked it up and wedged the pants over the NOT-free-arm of the machine, put a couple stitches in by hand, backstitched a few times, and just went for it. The result? Not a terrible job, till I realized I had stitched both back pockets to the backside of the pants! So I had to spend a good hour slowly ripping out the double seam (which is, by the way, entirely visible to the naked eye, so no room for mistakes! AHH!).

I finally finished the first pair of pants, 5 more to go. I lost interest and moved on to working on crocheting a baby blanket for my friend who is 6 months pregnant (she's having a girl). Can I finish it in just 3 more months?? Maybe if I don't let the ADHD get the best of me...oh wait, I was in the process of making a senior memories scrapbook for my little sister and designing my Christmas cards, and I need to take some of the length off two of my "prairie" skirts, and organize my craft room, and......sheesh. I should probably get off the computer and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment